Skip to main content

Living Rooms of Learning: An Alumnus Reflects

Krista (Schroeder) Cox ('86) writes:

Krista Cox ('86)
I have always loved learning, so I had a plan, from day one at Hastings College. I was going to be a high school English and/or Speech teacher. Being a teacher meant I never had to leave school. I followed through on the plan and was a high school English teacher for 32 years in Alma, Nebraska. I can honestly say that I loved my job. Every day was different and the same. A school day’s schedule unfolds in a similar manner each day, but the experiences packed into that schedule are like attending a church potluck—you never know what you will get but each dish offers the hope of being the best yet. I was still in love with teaching the first year I was eligible for retirement, but the job I have now with Wesleyan became available and I decided to apply. For the first time in 32 years, I found myself polishing my interviewing skills and eventually accepting the position. It’s the perfect second career job for a retired teacher. I get to visit high school classrooms, work part-time from my home office, and travel the state.

Since 2019, I have worked for Wesleyan Honors Academy (WHA); it’s Nebraska Wesleyan University’s concurrent enrollment dual-credit program. WHA works with 70 schools, 190 teachers, and over 2500 students across the state of Nebraska. My title is Assistant Director, and my role is to provide support to the WHA team, teachers, and students. I travel the length of Nebraska, from Harrison to South Sioux City, to observe WHA English teachers. It is an honor to sit in the classrooms and watch master teachers and sophisticated students whirl together their magic of inquiry and illumination. I learn something new every time I observe a class. My other duties include program promotion, program coordination, informational presentations, research, and data collection. I guess you could say I’m kind of the extra-job person.

My time at Hastings College was the perfect mix of academics and activities. I am thankful for a liberal arts education. It may not be for everyone, but it was a perfect fit for me. I know it enriched my efforts as an English teacher. History, religion, economics, and philosophy influence literature, and they happened to be required classes I may not have chosen. Each one made me a better teacher. The background information I learned in Dr. Kyle’s Western Civ class, informed my discussions on creation stories; I can’t count the number of times Dr. Storer’s lesson on the law of diminishing returns turned up somewhere; and the New Testament class helped me explain many an allusion.

Every single English class I took at HC influenced my career in a positive way. As I thought about classes and professors in the department, it became clear to me that each class I took and each professor who taught the class created an amazing living room, if you will, of learning. Aristotle wasn’t wrong—the sum of the whole is greater than the parts. I was challenged to improve my critical thinking skills and my writing skills in a safe environment where I could make mistakes, seek help, and improve. Two things happened. I had the opportunity to improve but more importantly, I was given the tools to create that kind of environment for others. In my job, I write every day, and I am often presented problems to solve, so what I learned at HC is always guiding me. I also try to emulate the learning environment the English Department gave me. If I can make teachers and students feel like they are sitting in a living
room, I have people like Darrel Lloyd, Dr. Sara Jane Gardener, Dr. Robert Harwick, Dwight Marsh, and Dr. David Procter to thank for their guidance.

My husband Roger (a retired science teacher) often travels with me when I visit schools. We try to see sites in Nebraska new to us. Recently, we drove through the Wildcat Hills area near Gering, Nebraska—amazing views. On another adventure we had a famous Bob’s Burger at Bob’s Bar and Grill in Martinsburg, Nebraska. We challenge you to find a bigger burger in the state.

I received my MA in English with a minor in Ed Psych from UNL in 1992. We have a grown daughter who is married with one son, and we have a grown son.