Skip to main content

“She knows how to break your heart and put it back together again in a single poem”: An Alumnus Reflects



Sierra DeMulder and her poetry have been a part of my life since I was in high school. I discovered her work on YouTube when I joined the speech team and was introduced to the world of slam poetry. I tried to memorize her poems and perform them for my friends, even performing her piece, “The Tampon Poem,” for a group project in my sophomore English class. I was so lucky to be able to attend Slam Poetry Summer Camp in 2015 and 2016, where I got to learn from Sierra and other talented poets for a whole week! Those two weeks were very much life changing for me and helped me find my voice. I left those weeks feeling powerful, capable, and heard, supported by a community of people who showed so much love. Sierra was so generous with her encouragement, affirmations, and knowledge.

Sierra DeMulder is one of my favorite poets ever. She knows how to break your heart and put it back together again in a single poem. Her voice is gentle but strong and welcoming. She can capture the tiniest of moments so perfectly. The words in her poems so perfectly and beautifully capture the experience of womanhood, queerness, grief, and love. I am so excited and honored to have her here in Hastings on September 23!

Rylie Felton '22

Library Experience Assistant, Hastings Public Library




Learn more about Rylie and her pathway to career success